Minutes 25th October 2012

Minutes of Clehonger Parish Council Meeting held on 25th October 2012 at 7.30pm at Innesfield Community Centre

Present: Cllrs C Tomlinson (Chairman), J Whittal, J Rider, P Jeffree, J Hammond and C Protherough

In attendance:   Mrs A Wright (Clerk), Ward Councillor Taylor, and 11 members of the public.

1.  Apologies for Absence

Apologies were accepted from J Thorne, A Hitchiner and G Walker

2.  Declarations of Interest

Resolved: Cllrs J Hammond and C Protherough declared prejudicial interests in matters relating to the Village Hall and Councillor Tomlinson declared similar in relation to Dore Community Transport.

3.  Introduction and welcome by the Chairman

The Chairman welcomed everyone, including the members of the public, to the meeting.

4.  Open Session

Residents raised the issue of bill posting at the Lousy Oak corner where some commercial signs had joined local event signs. The Clerk would contact Lisa Hughes at the Local Authority to find out best course of action. A collapsed wall was reported and Cllr Hammond would ask Lester to fix it.  The wall outside the Village Shop had been damaged by vehicle impact. Several attempts by Cllr Ryder to ask the shop keeper to secure the loose capping had so far proved unsuccessful. He has been asked to make sure that it is fixed. The main item that seemed to be coming out of the meetings re the Parish Plan was the Playing field. Some Parish Council funding would be ring fenced to help with the costs of upgrading the facility. It was suggested that monies raised by various groups could be used to put towards this also. It was again stressed re the importance of all bodies raising funds etc. for e.g. the Jubilee Group, Clehonger Community Action Group and those raising funds to help with the development of the Village Hall to keep accurate records of income and expenditure and to present their accounts to support their activities.  The question was posed by Cllr Taylor to the public present as to whether or not there should be an A49/A465 Link Road and the general consensus of the group was that there should be one.

5.  Brief Verbal Reports:

5.1 Local Policing Team.  Not present. Crime trends were discussed. The local phone box had been vandalised and there had been some attempted thefts plus damage to windows by missiles.

5.2 Ward Councillor. Cllr Taylor would be requesting the re-siting of the Croft Road Grit bin and would be continuing to request more bin provision. Cllr Hammond had secured a grit bin for the Village Hall.

5.3 Dore Community Transport. The new vehicle is to be inspected on 5th November and should finally be ready by mid November.

5.4 Clehonger Community Action Group.  Not present and Sgt Dugmore had given his apologies for not attending.

5.5 Broadband Champion. Nothing further had been communicated.

5.6 Church, Not present.

6.  To approve minutes of Meeting held on 13/09/12.

Resolved: – Following one correction of person’s name from “Pat” to “Cat”, the minutes were approved by the Council and signed by the Chairman.

7. Clerk Update on Action Items

The Clerk updated the Council re the action points.

A letter had been received West Mercia Police re staffing levels and crime concerns in response to the Clerk writing to them about these issues.  Further details re action under correspondence.

8.  To note correspondence

Following on from the last meeting the Clerk had written to Mr Graham Hornsby at Amey re the traffic speeding issues at the Bowling Green Pitch. Mr Hornsby had undertaken a comprehensive evaluation of the situation and had written with a number of suggested remedial solutions. The content of his response was discussed and it was resolved that the Clerk would contact Mr Hornsby to ask him to implement the changes as soon as budgets would permit him to do so. Further correspondence dealt with within appropriate agenda items.

9.  Finance

 9.1 Resolved: The following list of payments were approved:

Hire of Innesfield                                                                   £10.00

Lengthsman (R. Layton Morris)                                              £100.00

Mrs A Wright – (salary £367.34 mileage £21.56, home office £50.00)          £438.90

Herefordshire Council (RoSPA)                                                £54.60

Tax due on salary payment (Payable to The Post Office)            £91.80

Mazars Audit Fee Year ended 31/03/2012                               £162.00

___________

Sub Total          £857.30

Parish Planning for Real Payments

Clehonger Village Hall Hire (28/09/12)                                      £49.00

Calendar Lady Promotions Ltd (18 x A2 posters)                       £194.40

PP Sub Total           £243.40

Grand Total         £1100.70

9.2 Resolved: The bank balance was noted

10.  Planning

An application had been received for Garnom, Clehonger HR2 9SY for the erection of a domestic garage with loft storage above. The App No S122641 and OS grid ref 345138, 237144 refer. The Parish Council, through its Planning Sub Committee, resolved to support the application.

The Planning Application for houses at Home Farm is detailed at item 15.

11.  Parish Plan

Further meetings had been held and lots of suggestions received. The Brownies had been involved and some wish list items included a zoo, veterinary surgery, fish and chip shop. Top of the list were improvements to the Playing Field. The Ewyas Harold Fish and Chip Shop were prepared to bring their mobile fryer van to the vicinity of Innesfield, once a fortnight, so that residents could enjoy freshly cooked fish and chips. Final details were under discussion. Full details of the Parish Plan update can be read in the minutes of the Steering Group meetings as supplied to Council.

12.  Precept 2013/2014

There was a brief discussion on the precept and some clarification was given re the budget position and funding for the Parish Plan. The Parish Council would contribute £1500.00 to the funding for the Parish Plan over two years that is, £750.00 for 2012/2013 and £750.00 for 2013/2014. A sum of £7500.00 would be ring-fenced for the developments to the Playing Field. Further discussion re setting the next years precept would follow, at the November meeting, and the desired Precept figure for 2013/2014 would need to be with Herefordshire Council by 30/01/13.

13.  A465 Speed Limit Trials

A letter had been received from Graham Hornsby, Traffic Engineer at Amey, and he had outlined proposals that had been subject to discussion. A request for financial assistance with the provision of a road crossing had been sought by Cllr Phil Edwards, Ward Councillor and the content of his report of the issue and request for suppport are recorded here.

“Belmont Ward Local Members & Cllr David Taylor met with Amey Highway Officers & a representative from the Safer Roads Partnership / Westmercia Police, this morning, to determine a way forward to attempt make the current Temporary experimental Speed limit on the A465 into a permanent Order.

Despite massive Community Support emphasized by Ward Councillors for regularising the entire 40mph current area, it became apparent that this was unlikely to go ahead for two reasons, cost of engineering a safe crossing point at the one area (just west of the Ruckhall Lane junction with A465) where the A465 is just wide enough to do so, & the other being that a 40mph limit reaching into Open Countryside was unlikely to be enforced easily given limited resources available. 

Reluctantly the meeting agreed that the 40mph zone should simply cover from the current 30mph area (just west of Tesco Roundabout) to just west of Ruckhall Lane junction but that we welcomed a 50mph zone from this point to just beyond the A465 junction with B4349 Clehonger Rd & this would include a short distance along the Clehonger Road adjacent to the bungalow / housing area adjacent.

Importantly, to aide all of this  toward reaching a permanent  solution, a Funding Package will be required to create a safe crossing of the A465 just west of Ruckhall Lane junction (within Clehonger Parish) but where many Belmont Rural & Hereford City parishioners and South Wye folks  use the Abbey view & Belmont Haywood Country Park + Newton Coppice Public Spaces. 

As one of the 4 District Councillors involved in this meeting I offered to approach all of the Parishes involved to sound out potential contributions toward an illuminated Safe Crossing of A465 Belmont Road where a likely total cost could reach just under £50,000, due to several constraints, costing appears high but one of the factors would be that engineering works would need to consider being completed during ‘out of normal hours’ so to reduce daytime traffic hold ups to a minimum.

I understand your PC is due to meet on Thursday next, Will your Council consider contributing toward this worthwhile safety project, please?   Cllr P Edwards

Following discussion of the issues and noting the concerns, and in consideration of the request for funding, it was resolved that due to budget constraints the Parish Council would be unable to contribute at the present time. The Clerk would convey the message back to Cllr Edwards.                                                 

 14.  Plans for the A465/A49 Link Road and the LDF

This was discussed during the Open Session and public opinion sought. The details of the poll are as at the minutes of the open session.

   15. Home Farm

A large pack of planning documents had been received for the development at Home Farm. The details were as follows: Site: Home Farm, Belmont, Hereford, HR2 9RX. Description: Site for residential development for up to 85 dwellings with access, associated open space, landscaping, infrastructure and parking provision. Application number: S122747/O, Grid Ref: OS 348539,238284, Type: Outline.

The Planning Sub Committee would consider the application and make appropriate comments on behalf of the Parish Council.

16. Playing field Upkeep

Following discussions with the School, held at Governors meetings, and also the School having discussed the contract with their contractor, it had been decided that the School would retain control of the grounds maintenance contract for cutting the Playing Field’s grass. Following a chapter of incidents, and complaints about the lack of cuts during 2012, every confidence was now felt to be justified by the School given their clearer position of understanding with the contractors. A new agreement was in place and it was hoped that things would be much more satisfactory going forward. Feedback on performance was welcomed and a contract would be drawn up to provide for regular strimming of the perimeter areas and around the play equipment and flower borders. Tenders would be sought, by the Parish Council, to fill this separate contract.

17. Neighbourhood Planning Questionnaire

The Neighbourhood Planning Questionnaire was completed by councillors at the meeting and would be returned to the Neighbourhood Planning Team by the Parish Clerk.

18.  Brief Reports from Footpath Warden, HALC Rep and Village Hall Rep

There was nothing further to add from Footpath Warden and the HALC Rep was not present. The Village Hall Rep supplied minutes of the previous Village Hall Meeting for the file.

The Tree Warden reported that she had not received a reply to her request for a TPO on the Oak at 12 Poplar Road.

19.  Items for next Agenda (no discussion)

Transport Plan, Parish Plan, Precept,

  20.  Reminder of dates of future meetings

Thursday 29th November 2012, 7.30pm Innesfield Community Centre

The Meeting closed at 9.15pm