Minutes 20th March 2014

Minutes of Clehonger Parish Council Meeting held on 20th March 2014 at 7.30pm at Innesfield Community Centre

Present: Cllrs C Tomlinson (Chairman), J Rider, J Hammond, A Morgan, G Walker, P Jeffree and C Protherough
In attendance: Mrs A Wright (Clerk), Ward Councillor David Taylor and 3 members of the public.

1. Introduction and welcome by the Chairman
The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting.

2. Apologies for Absence
Apologies were received from Cllrs J Thorne and J Whittall.

3. Declarations of Interest
Resolved: Cllrs C Protherough, J Rider and J Hammond declared a prejudicial interest in matters relating to the Village Hall and Councillor Tomlinson declared similar in relation to Dore Community Transport.

4. Open Session
There were no matters raised this time around.

5. Brief Verbal Reports:
5.1 Local Policing Team. PCSO Witcher came later to the meeting. There was not much crime to report except some instances of distraction burglary. One incident involved two persons calling at a house and they asked to use the phone and then while one person kept the resident talking, the other removed £3000.00 in cash from a kitchen drawer.
There was also a warning about cold calling and persons trying to sell alarm systems for a notional cost which then turned out to be very much higher, once they had visited, due to five year maintenance charges. There was also seemingly no seven day cooling off period. People were urged to avoid appointments arising from calls operating this type of approach.
The dog poo issues are ongoing. It was suggested that the Clerk could contact Keith Isles from the Community Protection Team. New Posters would be created. The School Governor, Cllr Whittall, would be asked if something could be done to raise awareness in school and the pupils may then relay the message to parents and also learn good habits themselves in relation to clearing up after pets.
A hinge had been removed from a gate near to Mawfield Farm and a “pellet” looked like it had been fired through the front of the Top Shop Notice Board. A problem with the Village Hall Barrier had been rectified.
5.2 Ward Councillor. Ward Councillor Taylor explained the works to be carried out at the Ruckhall Bridge including a three week road closure, temporary narrowing of the highway and then re-opening. The road would not be suitable for HGV use while operations were ongoing and it was hoped that drivers would co-operate.
There had been correspondence regarding new O2 and Vodaphone telephone transmitters. Proposed sites included Tram Inn. It was felt that there should also be a new one sited at BT Madley to improve signals in that area. Clerk to write and request consideration of both Tram Inn and Madley sites.

5.3 Dore Community Transport. There were ongoing issues with the insurance price increases advised by Herefordshire Council and alternative prices had been obtained. Negotiations were continuing.

5.4 Clehonger Jubilee Group. Had held their AGM and a name change had been proposed and accepted. The Group would now be known as “Friends of Clehonger Parish”. Phil Moore was now the Chair. It had been decided that the Playing Field Sub Committee would organise the Summer Fete. The Gardening Competition was once again taking place and enquiries were coming in. It was hoped that Herefordshire Housing would sponsor prizes again for the Innesfield Community Garden Competition.

5.5 Broadband Champion. No further details at present, apologies sent. A problem with the signal in Church Road area would be rectified by the installation of a new “box”.

5.6 Church There had been a meeting held at the Primary School to decide on the specification of the Statement of Needs for a new Vicar for the benefice, following Rev. Dyson’s departure.

5.7 Clehonger Primary School
School Governor not present, apologies. There was a discussion over the possibilities for the Pre-School. They had approached the Parish Council for funding but this had not been allocated as part of any budget process and it would not, therefore, be possible for the Parish Council to contribute. Other means of raising funds would need to be explored, fund raising, Local Authority funding and possibly grants from benefactors. There had been a previous award made by a Charity called Garfield Weston. The time frame to use the allocated funds had expired but they may be able to consider a fresh approach?

6. To approve minutes of the Meeting held on 20/02/14.
Resolved: – The Minutes of the meeting, held on 20th February 2014, were approved by the Council and then signed by the Chairman following correction to two items in the Police Update section regarding the status of Mr Longmore as “Commissioner” not Inspector and the fact that the PCSO numbers increase had already taken place and was not a proposal.

7. Clerk Update on Action Items
The Clerk updated the meeting re the action items including contacting Craig Sandman at the Herefordshire Council about dog fouling issues (reply awaited, team reduced from eight personnel to two). Road issues had been reported. Parish Freighter had been booked for 3rd May and the 4th October, both at Village Hall Car Park 11.00 to 13.00 hours.
The dog poo issues were ongoing. It was suggested that the Clerk could contact Keith Isles from the Community Protection Team. New Posters would be created. The School Governor, Cllr Whittall, would be asked if something could be done to raise awareness in school and the pupils may then relay the message to parents and also learn good habits themselves in relation to clearing up after pets.

8. To note correspondence
The Clerk advised re some of the correspondence received including the End of Year package from Grant Thornton. Cllr Jeffree kindly agreed to assist with the End of Year accounts again and would contact the Internal Auditor. There had also been correspondence from HALC with information about development threats to village green spaces, Neighbourhood Plan legal challenges and information on proposals to deliver council services through Post Offices.
It was noted that the council should be registered with the Information Commissioners Office for data controllers and the registration fee of £35.00 was approved and added to the payments list (prop Cllr Walker sec Cllr Protherough).
Cllr Walker highlighted the removal of Microsoft Office support for the “XP” Version of Office from April 2014. A large number of people were still using this version.

9. Finance
9.1 Resolved: The following list of payments were approved:
Lengthsman (R. Layton Morris) £200.00
Mrs A Wright – (salary £296.90 mileage £9.99) £306.89
Tax due on salary payment (Payable to The Post Office) £74.20
Herefordshire Housing (Room Hire) £12.00
Herefordshire Council (Freighter May 3rd) £391.40
Information Commissioners Office (data controllers) £35.00
Herefordshire Council (Freighter Oct 4th) £391.40

Sub Total £1410.89
Parish Planning for Real Payments
Nil this month
Grand Total £1410.89
9.2 Resolved: The bank balance was noted
10. Planning
No new applications had been advised.

11. Parish Plan
A cheque for £750.00 was presented from the fundraising activities, £250 from Table sales and £500 from the Race Night. There were grateful thanks recorded for this very welcome contribution to Playing Field Funds. The Fund Total now stood at £8439.00. Grant application process had commenced and Dave Tristram was advising. The Fete on the Playing Field was scheduled for 29th June and more helpers were required.
Interpretation of the pages of results of the Questionnaire was ongoing. The Focus Groups would be reconvened: Housing, Leisure and Services, Environment and Transport and Communications. They may be overlaps in the groups and they would be meeting up in the next few weeks to evaluate the outcomes from the findings of the Questionnaire. The Steering Group would be meeting again on Monday 24th March and the pre-school movement would be discussed. The Good Neighbour Scheme had been welcomed and there were a number of people wishing to be involved. The RVS (formally WRVS) had been approached and meals-on-wheels provision was being investigated. There was a need to plug gaps left where grants had been axed by the Herefordshire Council.

12. Neighbourhood Plan
There would be a further information evening for the Neighbourhood Plan initiative at Brockington on 25th March at 7.00pm. The Clerk and Cllr Protherough would attend.
It was resolved that the Neighbourhood Plan should be undertaken for Clehonger parish. An explanation overview of the process was provided by the Clerk and the next step would be to register intention to proceed and designate the Parish Boundary. The Clerk would advise Sam Banks of the intention to proceed and enquire as to whether she would come and present information, on the process, as she had done at The Wyeside Parish Neighbourhood Plan Steering Group Meeting.
Cllr Protherough would “chase up” payment of instalment 2 of the Parish Plan Grant funding.

13. Village Matters
The daffodils, previously cut off last year, would be left as they were.
The defibrillator was with Audrey and awaiting installation, cost of this to be confirmed.
Training on CPR would be available at Tuesday Club, posters would be sent for Clerk to put in Notice Boards. New Leaf Repair Cafes were taking place where people could bring things to be fixed on a reciprocal basis. On April 8th there would be a “Tall Ships” presentation at the Tuesday Club introducing the work of The Tallships Youth Trust which offers opportunities for youths from the age of 12 to 75!
It was decided that a card and gift should be purchased for the retiring Lengthsman and the councillors held a collection for the purpose.

14. Brief Reports from Footpath Warden, HALC Rep, Village Hall Rep and Tree Warden
Footpath Warden Grants were still available for both the P3 Footpaths and Lengthsman Schemes. A new Lengthsman was required and interviews would be held, Cllr Jeffree and Morgan to do these. New initiatives would potentially mean the need for Parish Councils to budget for minor highway repairs including pothole filling, training initiatives etc.
HALC Rep No further meetings held, subscription renewal to be decided at April Meeting
Village Hall Rep Tree Warden reported that an orchard of trees had been felled.

15. Items for next Agenda (no discussion)
Apologies in advance from Cllr Thorne, Neighbourhood Plan, Lengthsman appointment, Annual Statutory Meeting considerations

16. Reminder of dates of future meetings
The next Meeting will be held on Thursday 24th April 2014, at 7.30pm, at the Innesfield Community Centre. Clerk to send future meeting dates to Cllr Walker.

The Meeting closed at 9.30pm