Minutes 18th June 2015

Minutes of Clehonger Parish Council Meeting held on 18th June 2015 at 7.30pm at Innesfield Community Centre

Present: Cllrs P Jeffree (Chairman), C Protherough (Vice Chair) from 7.45pm, A Morgan, J Harris, A Davies, J Rees and J Whittal

In attendance:   Mrs A Wright (Clerk), 6 members of the public.

  1. Introduction and welcome by the Chairman

The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting.

  1. Apologies for Absence

There were apologies from the Locality Steward, Linzy Outtrim and PCSO Fiona Witcher plus Chris Tomlinson the Footpath Officer and Cllr G Savory was not present.

  1. Declarations of Interest

Resolved: Cllr C Protherough declared a prejudicial interest in matters relating to the Village Hall. Cllr J Harris declared an interest in the Southern Link Road Planning Application No. 151314.

  1. Open Session

The Open Session heard representation regarding the demise of the Neighbourhood Watch Scheme in the area plus the wish to resurrect a scheme to look out for each other’s properties. It was suggested that residents contact the Police to discuss setting up a new scheme. The resident went on to express concern regarding health and safety and security particularly for elderly and vulnerable residents. There were also comments regarding signage on vehicles which did not mean anything as the accreditation was bogus. The issue of cold calling was raised and again concern regarding false identification papers which may not be worth the paper they are written on. Advice was given to those present regarding ensuring that trades people working for you have the relevant waste carriers licence and ask to see their papers to try to guard against your rubbish potentially being fly-tipped by unscrupulous traders. The Parish Council Chair did respond to the concerns and a representative from Friends of Clehonger Parish also said that the group would be looking at ways in which they might advise and assist local people to avoid exploitation etc. it was suggested that it might be a good idea to invite a further Smart Water demonstration and a Crime Prevention Office could be invited to a future meeting to raise awareness and offer advice. The resident reported that he had cleared a number of cider cans from the lay-by and bus shelter at the top of Church Road. He stated that Welsh Water needed to keep the area inside the fence clear also. The resident had offered to purchase a CCTV camera for the area but due to legal constraints had not been able to pursue this. An instance of fly-tipping had seen a brace of pheasants and a scarf left in the lay-by which the resident had kindly disposed of. There were also problems re large quantities of party rubbish (11 black bags) being left at the top of Birch Hill Road and littering and tipping was also a problem in neighbouring villages, such as Kingstone. There would need to be a litter pick drive organised.

The Open Session then closed.

  1. Brief Verbal Reports:

5.1 Local Policing Team.  PCSO Witcher was not present. Bulletin had been circulated. The Clerk had suffered theft of tools from a locked workshop and timber from a truck parked outside the property. There was a discussion about pedlars, hawkers and about a Romany gypsy who had been calling door to door seeking to sell wares on the doorstep. It was commented that prospective thieves were believed to be now making use of Google Maps images to “case joints” before going out to them.

5.2 Ward Councillor.  Ward Councillor Williams was not present.  There were comments about the grass cutting of which there were meant to be two cuts this year.

5.3 Dore Community Transport. Chris Tomlinson was not present but had sent a report. “It has been confirmed that the Council grant for 2015/16 has been reduced by £2000 so funding is going to become a major concern for the trustees in this financial year. Our Co-ordinator is retiring at the end of July because her husband is retiring then. We are in the process of recruiting a replacement. The job is home based for approx. 5 hrs per day. If anyone is interested please contact our administrator on 01981 551963 for details”. It was stated that more evidence of local use of the service would be needed to justify any future donations.

5.4 Friends of Clehonger Parish: No update

5.5 Clehonger Primary School:  No further update but it was commented that the children were excited about the playing field opening event.

5.6 Lengthsman: Not present

  1. To approve minutes of the Annual Parish and Annual Statutory Meetings held on 21/05/15

Resolved: – The Minutes of the Meetings, held on 21st May 2015, were approved by the Council and then signed by the Chairman, proposed by Cllr Whittal and seconded by Cllr Protherough

  1. Clerk Update on Action Items

The Clerk updated the meeting on actions taken including end of year audit and accounts, playing field correspondence and snagging issues and it was agreed that clarification should be sought regarding co-opting from Lynda Wilcox at HALC as there had been some mixed messages about this.

  1. To note correspondence including playing field issues re dogs and signs

Correspondence was noted and had been circulated. There had been a letter from a parent whose small child had been dangling from the zip wire while a dog, which was not on a lead, barked at him from below (this was not an attack but did provoke distress). The person’s other child had fallen on the field into some dog mess. The situation was discussed and the idea of fencing off the zip wire was mentioned but not felt to be practicable. After discussion, it was resolved that persons using the field and walking with dogs would be asked to keep their pets on a lead at all times. This should hopefully prevent harm coming to the dog, or person, should a similar situation with the zip wire reoccur or indeed any potential for a dog to attack an excited child. The prices for suitable “dog on lead” signs to be sourced. The next Playing Field Steering Group would be held on the 29th June, at 7.00pm, and recommendations for all playground signs would be discussed then.

  1. Finance

9.1 Resolved: The following list of payments were approved, proposed by Cllr A Davies  and seconded by Cllr A Morgan:

Mrs A Wright (salary £524.95, mileage £51.89, paper £6.50)                     £583.34

The Post Office Ltd (tax)                                                          £131.20

Herefordshire Housing (Room hire)                                             £32.00

Longfield Services (playing field equipment removal)                   £185.00

Longfield Services (lengthsman)                                                £168.00

Mrs P Price (Internal Audit)                                                       £120.00

 Total                    £1219.54   

9.2 Resolved: The bank balance was noted.

Resolved: The End of Year Audit and Accounts papers were signed off following the audit statements being read and agreed.

  1. Planning: To receive report from Planning Working Group Leader and to

discuss any further response to the Gladman and Gladwyn housing development applications No’s 141964/O and 142349/O

The Planning Applications 141964 and 142349 were discussed again and it was resolved that there had been no alteration to the opinions expressed previously and that the comments made, previously, should be reiterated to the Planning Office.

There had been further planning applications received as follows:

APPLICATION NO & SITE ADDRESS: 151172 – Church Cottage, Church Road, Clehonger, Herefordshire, HR2 9SD
DESCRIPTION: Proposed restoration of cottage, removal of bread oven and copper, add two windows on east side, add door to south side and repair garden wall.
APPLICANT(S): Miss Simone Assanand
GRID REF: OS 346595, 237954
APPLICATION TYPE: Listed Building Consent

The Parish Council supported the application.

APPLICATION NO & SITE ADDRESS: 151519 – Tuck Mill, Tuck Mill Road, Eaton Bishop, Hereford, Herefordshire HR2 9QQ
DESCRIPTION: Proposed new garage, greenhouse and garden storage outbuildings.
APPLICANT(S): Mrs Caroline Hanks
GRID REF: OS 345675, 239259
APPLICATION TYPE: Full Householder

The Parish Council supported the application.

APPLICATION NO & SITE ADDRESS: 151314 – Existing roundabout junction of A49(T) and B4399, to a new roundabout with the A465, then joining the B4349,
DESCRIPTION: New single carriageway (Southern Link Road) and associated works.
APPLICANT(S): Ms Mairaid Lane
GRID REF: OS 347138, 237471
APPLICATION TYPE: Planning Permission

The Parish Council resolved to have an Extraordinary Meeting to discuss the application.

This would be held on the 6th July 2015 from 7.00pm. All were asked to bring any information to the meeting to discuss.

  1. Village Matters

The findings from the Parish Plan would be taken forward and an advert would be placed in the Tracking the News to advise interested parties of a meeting to do this and scheduled for the 26th September. More details of this to follow.

The long grass and weeds inside the plot adjacent to the Village Hall were in need of cutting, as they are each year. The Enforcement Officer would be contacted by the Clerk.

  1. Neighbourhood Plan to discuss progressing the Plan on

To be placed on next agenda and prospective consultants would be invited to a future meeting.

  1. Playing Field update on fundraising, development and Opening Day

The adult equipment order was discussed and Cllr Protherough would advise which items were under consideration. It was agreed to principle to approve ordering the next phase of equipment subject to confirmation of prices and items. This information would be circulated for final approval.

Snagging issues on the playing field were persisting and the zip wire mound once again required to be redone as it was falling apart.

There was a discussion on the Severn Waste grant and the matting purchased could be stored at Cllr Whittal’s home, with her kind permission.

Watering the turf, on the mound in particular, had been ongoing and had saved the day and it was agreed that a “thank you” letter should be sent to all those who had helped via Tracking the News and also displayed in the Notice Boards, Clerk to action.

It was agreed that a “thank you” letter should also to be sent to the Village Hall Committee for supplying refreshments for the Playing Field Opening Event.

Fund raising was ongoing and there would be a sponsored Toddler Toddle (I circuit) and Walk for older persons (5 circuits) on the Playing Field on Sunday 12th July from 2.00pm. It was reported that £500.00 had been raised for the kitty that week and that the flower bed had been cleared. Donations of compost, plants etc. would be very welcome for the pending autumn planting schedule.

  1. Brief Reports from Footpath Warden, HALC Rep, Village Hall Rep and Tree Warden

Footpath Warden: Chris Tomlinson had sent the following report:

 PROW (P3 Scheme)

“I have established that the Parish boundaries were modified in about 2004 and since B.B. became responsible for the PROW they have only allocated funding to Clehonger in line with the change which means we have had our funding reduced because some of the paths with CH numbers (Clehonger identification) have been handed to Allensmore. The only way we can get these paths back within our allocation is to go into negotiations with Allensmore to see if they will give them back to Clehonger along with the funding.

We have walked quite a number of the paths in the last months. All have been easily accessible including the ones complained about by a parishioner last year. Other than the normal strimming to be done there are more improvements I would like to see carried out. To replace a gate at Abbey Farm with a gate with a pedestrian gate with in it and more work by the old pumping station. All this will be dependent on funding available from the council for the materials required and how far we can stretch the funding we have received for this financial year. We are no longer allowed to carry over any funding into the next financial year as we have done in the past to enable us to finance larger projects like the steps we had put in by the pumping station.

I am happy to report that several people have commented on how pleased they are with the steps we had installed leading to the old pumping station in the last financial year. So THANK YOU Longfield Services for the excellent work you did in very difficult weather conditions.

Chris.Tomlinson. (Clehonger PROW Officer)

HALC Rep: No update

Tree Warden: No update

  1. Items for next Agenda (no discussion)

Neighbourhood Plan

  1. Reminder of dates of future meetings

There was a reminder of the date of the next Ordinary Meeting to be held on Thursday 23rd July 2015, 7.30pm at Innesfield. There would be an Extraordinary Meeting held on the 6th July, at 7.00pm, to discuss the Parish Council’s response to the Southern Link Road, Planning Application Number 151314. Cllr Protherough gave her apologies in advance for the Meeting on the 23rd July.

The Meeting closed at 9.30pm