Minutes 17th November 2021

Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting of Clehonger Parish Council held on 17th November 2021 from 7.30 pm at the Clehonger Village Hall

Present: Cllrs S Savory, C Protherough (Chair), K Langdon, W Watkins and J Whittal
In attendance: Mrs A Wright (Clerk), Ward Cllr David Hitchiner and four members of the public.

1. Introduction and welcome by the Chair
Cllr Carole Protherough (Chair) welcomed everyone to the meeting.

2. Co-option of councillor and signing of forms
There were no candidates presented for co-option at the meeting.

3. To receive Apologies for Absence
There were apologies for absence received from Cllr J Harris, J Jones and A Davies

4. To note Declarations of Interest
There were no declarations of interest made.

5. Open Session
Concerns were raised about speeding on the B4349 towards Dunan and the A465. Amy accidents or injuries must be reported to the Police. The Ward Cllr advised that it could take a number of years to get a traffic regulation order to reduce the speed limit from the current 60 mph to, say, 40 mph. This stretch of road may be a candidate for future speed monitoring and enforcement by the police? Ian Connolly would be asked about this.
6. Brief Verbal Reports:
(6.1) Ward Councillor: The Ward Cllr advised regarding following up issues with the Persimmon Estate attenuation pond. If a volunteer could periodically check the level of the pond this would be appreciated. The Ward Cllr advised about initiatives to recruit more “mature” social workers in line with aspirations of the Improvement Board.
The Shell Store Building at Rotherwas had won an award.
Covid rates were advised as being 400 to 500 per 100,000 at the time of the meeting. The Ward Cllr advised everyone to be “really cautious.”
The Council were recruiting a new Board of Directors. Some appointments had been made.
A Citizens Assembly for Climate Change was being instigated and this would have extra funding for “something special”. This would be determined by the citizens chosen from 14000 available households using an algorithm. These people would number 48 and they would meet up to discuss options for the use of the extra funding in line with initiatives.

(6.2) Footpath Officer: The Footpath Officer was not present at the meeting.

(6.3) Tree Warden: The Tree Warden was not present at the meeting.
7.0 Playing Field
(7.1) Update and details of any sub committee meetings/actions etc.
Cllr Davies had produced a draft information collection survey for the residents of Clehonger to find out what they would like to see for the village. This had been circulated to the PC for their comments and would be rolled out in the New Year to find out people’s wishes and suggestions.
Cllr Watkins advised the meeting that the Christmas tree lights switch on and carols event was on the same day as an event in the Clehonger Hall and there would not be any parking for the tree event available, at the hall, on that evening. The Chair would speak to Cllr Davies about the parking and a note would be on the Parish Forum to explain about the parking for the Tree event.
Cllr Watkins also advised that the mats and two benches would need to be removed from the rear of the Village Hall. This would be sorted out.

8. To approve Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on 20/10/21
It was resolved that the Minutes of the Meeting, held on 20th October 2021, at the Hall, were approved by the Council.

9. Information and correspondence
Talk Community Newsletter 1 November 2021
Talk Community Newsletter 21 October 2021
Talk Community Newsletter 8 October 2021
ROAD CLOSURES – NOVEMBER – 26.10.21

From Highways re consideration of street lighting for the new estate of 90 homes:

“SECTION 38 – HIGHWAYS ACT 1980
DEVELOPMENT AT LAND OFF MADLEY ROAD CLEHONGER HEREFORDSHIRE
Please find enclosed a plan showing the above-mentioned proposal, which includes the construction of a new estate road. The developer is required to enter into an Agreement with this authority for the future adoption of this road under Section 38 of the Highways Act 1980. A clause can be inserted into this Agreement requiring the provision of street lighting on the road.

I should be grateful if you would consult your Council as to whether they would require the road to be lighted in order that the appropriate clause can be included in the Agreement if necessary.

Please note that the Councils current specification for residential lighting is LED lanterns and the design levels in rural areas will be the minimum level permitted for highway lighting.

If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact me on the above telephone number.

Yours faithfully,
AJMAL MUKHTAR
GRADUATE ENGINEER (DEVELOPMENT CONTROL)”

The Parish Council discussed the issue of lighting and were resolved to request that any lighting installed, within the housing estate itself, should be kept to the absolute minimum requirement, in line with a darker skies policy. The main road should remain unlit. This information would be conveyed to the Engineer.

10. Finance and Policies
(10.1) Resolved: The following list of payments were approved:
Clerk paid in accordance with contract (Nov)
HMRC (Tax) £142.80
Longfield Services (Lengthsman/Bins) £202.10
Clehonger Village Hall (Hall hire) £21.00
Gamber Logistics (Christmas tree and delivery) £105.00
Eyelid productions (web site services) £30.00
Lights 4 Fun (tree lights) payable to A Davies £63.87

(10.2) Resolved: The bank balance was noted at £40447.53

(10.3) Resolved: To determine precept request for 2022 – 2023
The precept was discussed and for 2022 – 2023 would remain at £22800.00. The Clerk would submit the precept request to the Finance Team.
11. Planning.
(11.1) To consider response to Planning Applications, as notified, and then determined by Herefordshire Council
There were new planning applications advised as follows:

APPLICATION NO & SITE ADDRESS: Planning Consultation – 213842 – Clehonger Church Of England Primary School, Gosmore Road, Clehonger, Hereford, Herefordshire HR2 9SN
DESCRIPTION: Proposed construction of outdoor classroom
GRID REF: OS 345197, 237527
APPLICATION TYPE: Planning Permission

The Clehonger Parish Council commented in support of the application but would just make the observation that attention is drawn to minimising noise nuisance, from the open classroom, as far as possible for neighbouring properties.

12. Village Matters (brief action points on matters not covered elsewhere)
Cllr Watkins thanked the Clerk for chasing up the situation regarding the weed land next to the Hall.
The hedge outside a property in Poplar Road had been trimmed back but needed more to be taken off as was still very large.
Another speed monitoring follow up to be arranged in 2022 and also to look at possible school signs.

13. To consider possible items for road improvement matters and items to be considered in regard to highway safety and speeding in the village (including any correspondence on this topic)
Visit by Road Safety Advisor and Locality Steward – road safety measures/speeding
The Meeting went ahead on Tuesday 26th October 2021 from 12 noon, meeting at the Village Hall car park. The persons on the tour were:
Ian Connolly – Traffic Safety Advisor – West Mercia Police
Paul Norris – Senior Locality Steward – Balfour Beatty
Cllr Carole Protherough, Chair of Clehonger Parish Council
Cllr Alison Davies, Vice Chair
Cllr Krina Langdon
Alison Wright – Parish Clerk to Clehonger Parish Council

The group toured the village in two vehicles (The Clerk took all parties except Paul Norris who travelled in his Balfour Beatty Truck). The Group looked at all of the aspects that had been highlighted, including the following points:
1) Gosmore Road, including request for verge markers at end by public footpath onto the Persimmon Estate.
2) Birch Hill including narrow section, moved 30 mph signage, fence panel barrier at top of Birch Hill. Query regarding 30 mph zone.
3) Birch Hill Road, road surface etc.
4) Pedestrian crossing? Harpacre area or Persimmon/Bines have been suggested?? Seven Stars and bus stop – crossing?
5) Speeding on B4349 in both directions. Speed monitoring and possibility for speed gun/ community speed watch group?
6) General speeding issues. Concern over access and vehicle movements by new construction site for 90 homes by Shark House Barn
The Locality Steward advised that there were issues with the speed TRO at Birch Hill which were currently under review. He undertook to straighten and clean the bend warning sign at Birch Hill and did this straight after the meeting. Note was taken of the appalling condition of Birch Hill Road in terms of broken surfacing etc. Ian Connolly agreed that further speed enforcement would take place and he would also collect speed data from the village roads to inform the best way of dealing with the issues being experienced. The configuration of kerbing outside Lilac Cottages on the B4349 was described as unfit for purpose and both the Locality Steward and the Police Traffic Safety Advisor would be recommended the removal of the obstructive kerbing. The drainage issues there would also be looked at. The spot was a key one for speed monitoring by the van and the kerb was proving disadvantage to carrying this out.
Both invited guest parish visitors pledged to all that was possible to try to help rectify some of the concerns but they may take time in regard to funds and also some options may not be practicable. The idea of speed indicator advisory lighting plus possible community speed watch may be possible options but would need to be informed by data collected and by options for placement.
There were three residents at the hall when the party returned form the tour and they gave input to the discussion.
The parish council thanked everyone for giving up their time to look at the area and discuss the issues.
14. To discuss how to engage with the community in relation to the revised Herefordshire Local Plan Consultation
This had been placed on the forum for any comments with a link to the current Core Strategy.

15. To discuss possible visit from Wilder Herefordshire Representative
This would go forward to the New Year

16. Items for next Agenda (no discussion)
All of the usual items would be on the Agenda. Interactive appraisal for future agenda

17. Reminder of dates of future meetings
The next Meeting of the Parish Council would be held on Wednesday 15th December 2021, from 7.30pm, at the Clehonger Village Hall.

The Meeting closed at 8.26 PM.