Minutes 16th March 2022

Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting of Clehonger Parish Council held on 16th March 2022 from 7.30 pm at the Clehonger Village Hall

NB- The minutes are “draft” until ratified at the following parish council meeting.

Present: Cllrs S Savory, A Davies (Vice Chair), J Jones, N Rider, C Protherough (Chair), K Langdon, W Watkins and J Whittal
In attendance: Mrs A Wright (Clerk), Paul Wright (Lengthsman) and one member of the public.

1. Introduction and welcome by the Chair
Cllr Carole Protherough (Chair) welcomed everyone to the meeting.

2. Co-option of councillor and signing of forms
There were no candidates presented for co-option at the meeting.

3. To receive Apologies for Absence
There were apologies for absence received from Ward Cllr David Hitchiner

4. To note Declarations of Interest
There were declarations of interest made by Cllrs Watkins and Jones in relation to the Village Hall and Cllr Whittal in any matters relating to the Church.

5. Open Session
A local resident was in attendance. He advised how he had suffered a van coming straight through the front hedge of his home and into his front garden. This had caused damage to the hedgerow, but fortunately not to the property or any persons. It had also taken out a road sign. This again highlighted the issue of speeding. The police were aware and the incident was being dealt with. The ongoing speeding issues and possibility of Community Speed Watch would be followed up with the Police Safety Advisor.
6. Brief Verbal Reports:
(6.1) Ward Councillor: The Ward Cllr had sent his apologies. The Boundary Commission enquiry had been informed that the parishes of Clehonger, Eaton Bishop and Madley did not agree with the proposed constituency boundary changes which would move Stoney Street into the North Ward. The Zoom Balfour Beatty Meeting had been a communication effort. Birch Hill Road resurfacing was “not forgotten”. Dismay was expressed at the amount of money spent on new planters and bike racks for the city. It was felt that this investment would have been better made in spend on road repairs. The Ward Cllr had been asked to look at any Herefordshire Council back up plans for dog waste bin emptying.

(6.2) Footpath Officer: The Footpath Officer was not present at the meeting.

(6.3) Tree Warden: The Tree Warden was not present at the meeting. He had sent a message to say that he was still “on the case” with the recent tree issues.

(6.4) West Mercia Police: The Police Bulletin had been circulated when received. Contact had been made regarding damage to property at the field. The reporting section, for all reports, of the meeting agenda would be moved to lower down and after the playing field agenda item for future meetings.
7.0 Playing Field
(7.1) Update and details of any sub committee meetings/actions etc.

Vandalism
Further vandalism on the field had resulted in the phone kiosk roof being ripped off and the back panel of the shelter smashed through, leaving a large hole. This had been reported to the police and the Lengthsman and Clerk had cleared up the mess and made a safety repair to the shelter screen to avoid cuts and injuries from the sharp acrylic broken edges. Thanks were recorded to them both for doing this as an emergency measure. It was agreed that enquiries would be made about pursuing an insurance claim for the panels which would cost £2251.00, including VAT, to replace.

Goal posts and gates
Cllr Davies would liaise with the School in regard to the goal posts and the school had expressed an interest in having the old posts once replaced with the new 5 a side pitch. This would not be decided until the costs of the new arrangement were known etc.
A request had been made for a path through the hedge with gate from the school to the playing field. This was discussed and the parish council decided that there should not be a gate in the hedge line and that people should walk round to the other entrance points. Also the footpath from Persimmon to the field, near the back of the field, could not be altered by the PC as it was not PC land.

Benches – fitting
The subject of the fitting of the two new benches was discussed. Concerns and reservations about proximity of a bench to the rear corner of the field, in terms of possible encouragement of anti-social behaviour were noted. The proposal made was for one bench to replace the old bench, at the front of the field, and the second to be placed at the rear of the field, not too close to the hedge (to allow for mowing, hedge cutting etc.) and not too close to the Village Hall corner. The benches would be fitted to the ground for security.
The proposal received 4 votes for the motion and 4 against. The Chair’s casting vote made a majority vote in favour of the fitting proposals. The benches would be fitted and with mats placed underneath. The situation would be kept under review.

(7.2) Notice board for map to agree purchase and location
Quote to be obtained for suitable display boards for the maps.

Annual Playing Field Inspection
It was resolved that this should be booked to take place as in previous years.

8. To approve Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on 16/02/22
The February Minutes were taken by Lynda Wilcox, acting relief clerk from HALC. The Clerk, Mrs Wright, had been absent due to Covid 19. It was resolved that the Minutes of the Meeting, held on 16th February 2021 at the Hall, were approved by the Council subject to the identified corrections being made, in the protected document, by Lynda Wilcox.

9. Information and correspondence
ROAD CLOSURES – MARCH
Talk Community Newsletters
Spatial awareness consultation
Herefordshire Greener Footprints Survey and Pledge
CEO – Monthly Growth and Development Blog

HALC
Information Corner plus attachments
New Pay Rates for Local Government from 1/04/21

10. Finance and Policies
(10.1) Resolved: The following list of payments were approved:
Clerk paid in accordance with contract (March)
Expenses £26.10
Longfield Services (Lengthsman/Bins) £281.60
Clehonger Village Hall (Hall hire) £35.00
Information Commissioner (ICO) £40.00
Eyelid productions (web site services) £130.00
Cllr A Davies (Jubilee tree planting refreshments) £36.54

(9.2) Resolved: The bank balance was noted at £33767.24

(9.3) To consider purchase of new notice board for outside the shop
The quotation was reviewed it was commented that a black finish to the board would be preferred – to fit in with items already on location. Quote and availability of a black finish board would be obtained and the owner of the site, Cllr Rider, would be fully consulted regarding any fitting of the board to the outside area of the shop premises. The Lengthsman would liaise with Cllr Rider in regard to this.

11. Planning.
(11.1) To consider response to Planning Applications, as notified, and then determined by Herefordshire Council
There were no new planning applications.

(11.2) To consider any response by the PC to the further elements of the Local Area Plan (Core Strategy) Consultation.
The Parish Council agreed that, while individuals could send in their own representations, if there were any joint response then the Chair would co-ordinate the comments and send round for approval.

12. Village Matters (brief action points on matters not covered elsewhere)
Weed land
The “weed land” by the Village Hall was looking very untidy. It was agree that the Clerk would send photos of this to the Enforcement Team and ask them to look into reopening the case.

Persimmon – floods
A resident had contacted a councillor regarding flooding on his fields since the housing estate at Persimmon had been built. The drains kept blocking and with the attenuation pond not seemingly working correctly, there were ongoing issues. It was agreed that a “stiff” letter should be sent to the Ward Cllr about these flooding issues and the ongoing problems with surface water.

Tree Planting for the Jubilee
This had taken place on the playing field. There was some concern expressed about how the tree had been stored, and then planted out, due to possible sensitivity to frost. There was also some disappointment expressed about publicity for the event as some people had missed out due to not knowing when it was due to take place. Messages had been sent out but last minute alterations may have been responsible for a cross over in communications.
The Chair would enquire about whether a protective cage was to be provided for the young tree.

13. Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
The Village Hall was booked for the Jubilee celebration weekend in June. A Jubilee Meeting would be held on the 18th March, led by the primary school head teacher, at the school to discuss ideas etc.

14. Items for next Agenda (no discussion)
All of the usual items would be on the Agenda. Also – the co-option of a new councillor.
Land by the Village Hall to be discussed and a Finance Working Group to be set up. Playing Field funds to be discussed and notice boards (shop and maps) would be considered.

15. Reminder of dates of future meetings
The next Meeting of the Parish Council would be held on Wednesday 20th April 2022, from 7.30pm, at the Clehonger Village Hall.

Due to the confidential nature of the business of this agenda item, under the Public Bodies (Admission to Meetings) Act 1960 (3) it is proposed to put forward a motion to exclude members of the public during discussion of this agenda item (number 16 only)
16. Clerk’s appraisal feedback and to discuss implementation of 1/04/21 pay award (back-dated) and increment from 1/04/22 in line with HALC and NJC correspondence.
The Clerk and public left the room. The parish council discussed the pay award and increment and it was agreed that the back pay from the April 2021 pay award should be paid and the Clerk would progress to scale point 25 from 1/04/22.

The Meeting closed at 9.15 PM.