Minutes 16th June 2016

 Minutes of Clehonger Parish Council Meeting held on 16th     June 2016 at 7.30pm at Innesfield Community Centre

Present: Cllrs P Jeffree (Chairman), J Rees, A Morgan, G Walker, J Harris, C Protherough (Vice Chair) and A Davies

In attendance:  Mrs A Wright (Clerk), Ward Councillor Steve Williams and 2 members of the public plus PCSO Fiona Witcher for part.

  1. Introduction and welcome by the Chairman

The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting.

  1. Apologies for Absence

There were apologies received from Cllrs Whittal and Savory.

  1. Declarations of Interest

None declared.

  1. Open Session

A resident advised that the hotbox pothole filling had been in Birch Hill Road.

Andy Robertson, resident of Poplar Road and Governor at the Clehonger Primary School addressed the Parish Council.

He updated the Parish Council regarding the headship arrangements. The head had now left and the acting head was in place. There had been issues with morale in school but these had now been turned around. The School was on a quest to “involve the local community and to provide a dynamic learning environment”. The school was hoping to attract more pupils and the Little Gems” pre-school service was up to capacity on three days of the week and “going well”. The current intake for the new academic year was 13 pupils but 20/21 pupils were needed. There was a possibility that the school would come under the leadership of an Executive Head, who would look after a cluster of schools. The idea of Academy was mentioned. The School would be seeking to offer an expanded curriculum and some schools had approached Clehonger to consider forming part of a cluster. The intention was to market the school to get more pupils.

The issue of the parking lines at the school was mentioned. The lines, dropping off and one way system were helping to alleviate issues around peak traffic times and it was noted that timely hedge trimming of the border hedge was also important. Andy said that there were quotes with the school for the new line painting to denote parking spaces and he would forward these to the Clerk so that the Parish Council could consider a possible donation towards the cost of painting new lines. Summer was a good time to carry out this task and a design sketch would accompany the quotes.

Signage from the main road, showing that there was a school there, would be helpful. The Clerk would ask the Locality Steward about this.

The development site next to the Seven Stars may yield some changes to numbers and the Chair stated the wish to hold possible quarterly meetings of interested groups, Parish Council, Village Hall, Friends of Clehonger Parish and the School etc. to unify ideas and possibly to try to avoid date clashes for events etc. Cllr Whittal could feedback to the Parish Council regarding initiatives at the School.

There was to be a Carnival on 1st July on the theme of cowboys and cowgirls. All invited and there would be a parade around the village. Leaflets would be delivered to advertise this. There was a suggestion that the School could put information into the Welcome Packs.

It was commented that the School website required updating as a virtual tour of the school, as promised on the website, was still not on there.

There was some discussion of a “Facebook” Page for the School and an Annual Diary to be kept to try to avoid clashes of event dates.

The Clerk took note of the contact details for Andy and would await the quotes for the line painting.

PCSO Witcher had attended further to the road safety issues expressed at the previous meeting. Speed monitoring devices and a van could be arranged. The Clerk was given details of the Safer Roads Partnership and would lodge a formal request for speed monitoring in the village.

The PCSO also warned of current scams and advised people to be watchful when entering their PIN numbers during transactions.

The PCSO left the meeting at this point.

  1. Brief Verbal Reports:

5.1 Ward Councillor.  Ward Cllr Williams reiterated the reasons why he had not represented the parish at the recent planning meeting at which the Southern Link Road application was determined. His home was within 400 metres of the proposed route and he therefore declared a pecuniary interest. He also had a pre-booked holiday on the date of the meeting. Cllr Jon Johnson had stood in and was highly commended by Cllr Harris for his support for her, generally, over the application and also for helping to secure a 3 minute slot for her to speak at the planning meeting. There was some question as to whether Cllr Williams had advised Cllr Johnson of some details of the application but Cllr Williams confirmed that he had sent these to Cllr Johnson in May.

Notification of an Environmental Report had been received regarding the Bowling Green Farm Poultry Unit Application. No planning application had been received. The Parish Council agreed that if an application is received then a public meeting would be held.

An enquiry was going ahead in September (13-16 and 20 plus 21) regarding the refusal by Herefordshire Planning Authority of the Gladman’s application for 90 houses on land on the Madley Road. The Clerk would contact the Planning Officer to find out what was happening regarding this.

The Locality Steward had attended a Parish Council meeting locally and the Clerk would ask if she might attend a Clehonger PC Meeting and then follow up with a Parish “Walk.” Volunteers would be invited to come along on the walk to help identify issues.

5.2 Friends of Clehonger Parish: Cllr Walker advised that the event had been held on the Playing Field for the Queen’s Birthday celebration. Overall, there had been a “lack of villagers attending” but the volunteers who had helped had done a “brilliant job”. A good time had been had the music was good and over £500.00 had been raised to be split between the Playing Field and Friends of Clehonger Parish Funds. Publicity from the event would be circulated into the GVY, Tracking the News and County Times. The event had been successful and contacts had been made. Cllr Walker thanked Jim, Steve and the volunteers for all of their contributions.

5.3 Clehonger Primary SchoolCovered during the Open Session

5.4 Lengthsman: Invoices for works presented.

  1. To approve Minutes of the Annual Parish and Annual Statutory Meetings held on 19/05/16

Resolved: – It was resolved that the Minutes of the Annual Parish and Annual Statutory Council Meetings held on 19th May 2016, were approved by the Council and then signed by the Chairman. Minutes were proposed by Cllr Davies and seconded by Cllr Rees.

  1. Clerk update and correspondence

The Clerk updated the meeting on actions etc. taken including having been out on a visit to Leigh Sinton to look at the traffic calming initiatives at the edge of the Village.

  1. Finance

8.1 Resolved: The following list of payments were approved, proposed by Cllr Davies and seconded by Cllr Jeffree:

Mrs A Wright (salary £591.68, mileage £19.71, ink & paper £26.48)                  £639.93

Longfield Services (Lengthsman)                                                     £56.00

Herefordshire Housing (room hire)                                                  £32.00

Longfield Services (Footpaths)                                                      £126.00

Mrs P M Price (Internal Audit)                                                       £120.00

Total          £973.93                                                           

8.2 Resolved: The bank balance was noted at £22811.26.  The End of Year Accounts had been sent to the External Auditor. The reimbursement of Lengthsman Grant would be chased up.

  1. Planning. To receive report from Planning Working Group Leader

9.1 Planning applications were noted as follows:

Amended and additional plans for planning application:

APPLICATION NO & SITE ADDRESS: 153691 – Land off Gardiners Oak, Clehonger, Herefordshire,
DESCRIPTION: Proposed erection of 4 detached bungalows and garages with ancillary works.
APPLICANT(S): The Owner and/or Occupier
GRID REF: OS 344681, 237320
APPLICATION TYPE: Planning Permission

It was agreed that advice be sought on the proposals and comment submitted accordingly.

9.2 To discuss CIL and 106 payments update

Cllr Whittal had been into school and fed back as follows: “I wish to report that I have spoken to Clehonger School staff regards the S.106 in relation to the Gosmore Road site. They will put together a Report detailing their thoughts after they have consulted with the children”.

Jim Jones kindly agreed to enquire of the Chair of the Village Hall as to wishes of the Village Hall re 106 monies.

9.3 Southern Link Road – update

The Parish Council recorded their thanks to Cllr Protherough for representing the views of the Parish about the application 151314 at the Planning Meeting. The call-in of the planning application 151314, by the Green Party, had received a letter of rejection to the request. Thanks also to Cllr Harris for her representation at the meeting.

The next stage of the “Western by-pass” was being considered at Cabinet that day.

  1. Village Matters

There had been an attempted break in at a property near to the bottom of Croft Road. An intruder had tried to access the house and an outbuilding. The importance of reporting all crimes was reiterated. Ring 101 for non-emergency or 999 for emergency matters.

The drain by the “Lousy Oak” which was previously blocked has been cleared. The drains in Gosmore Road, Birch Hill are blocked.

There is an issue with the seat in the bus shelter by Oak Crescent. The seat is broken and tape has been placed on it. A longer seat was required. The old seat is to be removed. A Quotation to replace the seat is to be requested from the Lengthsman.

The Sandbags Policy, of Balfour Beatty, had been reported in the Hereford Times but clerks did not appear to have been advised about the proposals directly. Clerk would write to Cllr Paul Rone for clarification.

  1. Appointment of Footpath Warden

Prior to the ballot being held, the issue of training was raised. This was discussed and it was noted that training would be available as required. There were two candidates for the post and, following the casting of votes, Mr Blue Davies was appointed to be the Footpath Officer for Clehonger Parish. A letter of thanks would be sent to the previous Footpath Officer, Mr Chris Tomlinson, and the thanks of the Parish Council, for all of his work on the footpaths, were recorded. The Chair would advise the outcome of the ballot to the candidates.

  1. Neighbourhood Plan – update

The meeting as planned had been postponed. The Chair apologised. A date for the next meeting was to be advised.

  1. Playing Field – update

The Committee were still awaiting a further fencing quotation. The authorisation to order the fencing had been resolved. Once the fencing had been sorted out two further pieces of equipment for the playing field would be ordered. This had been agreed previously.

Grant money had been received for the picnic bench. The plaque was now on the Elizabeth Oak. A thank you to Cllr Protherough for her work on getting the grant for the bench was recorded. There was circa £6000.00 in the Playing Field Fund.

  1. Brief Reports from Footpath Warden, HALC Rep and Tree Warden

Footpath Warden: not present.

HALC Rep:  No report this time

Tree Warden: No report at this time

  1. Items for next Agenda (no discussion)

All of the usual items would be on the Agenda plus the consideration of community assets and the Locality Steward to be present if possible.

  1. Reminder of dates of future meetings

There was a reminder of the date of the next Meeting to be held on Thursday 21st July 2016 from 7.30pm at Innesfield.

The Meeting closed at 9.37pm